Ever really thought about how flowers make you feel? Or, where you buy flowers and why? What makes a great local or online florist? Here's what others have to say.
A Memorable Gift with an Emotional Boost
- 92% of women remember the last time they received flowers.
- 88% of survey respondents say a gift of flowers changes their mood for the better.
- 83% say they like to receive flowers unexpectedly.
- 86% say receiving flowers makes them feel special.
- 99% say that a person who gives flowers is thoughtful.
- 89% believe the giver is sophisticated.
The Most Popular Flower Gifts
Within the previous year, survey participants reported that they bought the following floral gifts:
- 99% flowering plant
- 88% floral arrangement
- 88% loose or bunched flowers
- 16% outdoor bedding or garden plant
- 14% mix of green and flowering plants in a basket or dish garden
Men and Women
- Men spend more on floral gifts. More men than women buy roses and larger flower arrangements.
- Women buy a wider range of flowers and floral gifts, often at lower cost.
- Young consumers under the age of 35 favor inexpensive bunched or loose flowers as gifts.
Most Popular Flower Source
- Local florists are the venue frequented most often by consumers. 91% bought floral gifts from a florist within the last year, and 63% bought fresh flowers as gifts "most often" from a local florist compared to other outlets.
- Respondants reported product quality, service, and value as the key benefits of purchasing from florist shops.
- 43% shop for flowers as gifts at supermarkets, citing convenience and savings as key reasons.
- 59% purchased flowering plants at a nursery or garden shop.
Online Flowers Purchases
- Those who buy flowers from online floral services are still predominantly male and generally more affluent.
- Flower buyers say the benefits of online services include the ease and convenience of 24/7 shopping, the ability to see a "catalog" of options and prices, and the availability of harder to find flowers.
What Matters Most
Consumers consider these factors important when choosing where to buy flowers:
- Flower quality and freshness (93%)
- Product guarantee (88%)
- Convenience and ease of ordering (83%)
- Value for money (77%)
- Delivery service, including same-day (77%)
- Advice and recommendations (69%)
- Professional design (67%)
- Broad range of products / arrangements (67%)
Source: SAF Consumer Attitudes and Behavior Study about Floral Purchasing, consisting of four focus groups of floral consumers segmented by age and a nationwide telephone survey of consumers ages 25-55 who purchased floral gifts at least twice within the past year.
© 1995-2017 All America-Phillip'sFlowers Shops, America's Online
Images © 1995-2017
Phillip's Flowers, SAF, CCFC, Eyewire, or PhotoDisc