Take the quiz below to see how savvy you are when it comes to flowers for various houses of worship.
1. In what religious tradition does the groom arrive
at the ceremony on a white horse (often decorated with flowers)?
2. True or false? Flowers are forbidden at Jewish funerals.
3. Catholic weddings are rarely held during Lent.
When they are, the flowers used should be:
4. True or false? In the Islamic tradition, white flowers are especially suitable for funerals.
5. In which houses of worship are flowers not
permitted in sacred areas?
6. What sort of flowers should never adorn a Buddhist
7. In which religious tradition do congregants
construct an "epitapho," or tomb of Christ, entirely from flowers during the
8. In the Catholic, Episcopal and Anglican
traditions, what color is especially appropriate for flowers used at Pentecost?
Answers 1. D -- Hindu. 2. False (sort of). Flowers are used at some Reform Jewish funerals but not at orthodox ceremonies. 3. C -- Understated. 4. False. White (and red) flowers are often used in Islamic weddings, while greenery and perfumed flowers of any color are used at funerals. 5. B -- Mormon. 6. A -- Thorned flowers. Note that chrysanthemums are actually a particular favorite in Buddhist ceremonies. 7. D -- Greek Orthodox. 8. B -- Red.
Source: Teleflora's The Retail Florist